Thursday, May 18, 2017

Another boss who understood my feelings


Here is the tenth unforgettable character in my life …

He was one more retired service Officer of the Indian Air Force who was another of my bosses and understood my feelings. He had a different attitude towards the work. He wanted to know everything about every subject and was always moving from one table to another discussing with the staff. When he went to attend meetings of the Departmental Heads, he would try to get involved in practically all activities – as a result, we his staff had to bear the burden of fulfilling his committed obligations. In a way, it was fun working with him.
It was in his tenure that I suffered a major setback.
Our promotions were normally in June and the oral examinations were conducted in April-May. The Departmental Promotion Committee would assemble in one of the Divisions and the candidates would have to appear before them for the viva-voce.
In this particular year, the Committee was scheduled to assemble in the Division where I worked. Those who would be interviewed were intimated by the Personnel department. But, my name was not in the list. I came to know about this during lunch time – so, dejected, I did not go back to my department after lunch but went straight to my room. I had expected the call and not getting it was a blow. I planned to go to my native place to get out of the stares and sympathetic words of my colleagues that I would have to face and endure for quite some time. As I was about to leave for the station, the calling bell rang. I opened the door and was surprised to see my boss. He held a file in his hand and there was excitement written all over his face. He pushed me in and opened the file.
‘See,’ he said, ‘GM has approved your movement order to go to Koraput Division where the next round of viva-voce would be held.’
I stared at him in disbelief and took my hats off to him. He had not seen me in the department after lunch; he must have talked to my colleagues and got the message about my depression. Therefore, on his own imitative, he prepared a part case file, took the approval of the GM and came to my room to prove that he cared for his staff. And, he did it all within a few hours!! I have never come across another officer of this nature.
Instead of going to Kolkata, I went to Koraput.


Image courtesy wikimediacommons.org

New outlets for fresh fish from Chilika

The Great Indian Bustard makes a comeback

Trekking options open up in Uttarakhand


Another boss who understood my feelings

My boss rode a scooter and wore a wig

The man who loved his work


Airstrikes kill at least 27 ISIS militants in Iraq

US police arrest serial killer of Phoenix who had killed at least nine people

Gunmen disguised as doctors shoot dead 38 persons in a Kabul hospital


Mumbai will get to see Justin Bieber in action on May 10

Kangana Ranaut is 'fearless Julia' in Rangoon

Shakti Kapoor holds his audience spellbound in the Khandagiri Yatra

No comments:

Post a Comment